Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Old Man Winter Has Arrived!

This is what we woke up to this morning......not looking to bad then, but now we are really getting some snow! Our area is under a winter storm warning with blizzard conditions, and it has started up already. I have whispered a silent prayer for all who have to be out in this weather today as we are already down to 16 with windchill factor, and looking at gusts of wind at 25 miles per hour as the day goes on. So it is a wonderful day to stay inside, and I hope all of you are able to do so also.




Before it got to nasty this morning I was able to grab a few pictures of some of the decorations on my front porch. My husband built this lighted birdhouse for me several years ago, and I still love it today. We have two of them on either side of the steps and the twinkling lights make a cute entrance to our home.

I didn't stay out long, as the wind was already starting to blow, but I did get a photo of my other birdhouse that sets in the corner of the porch. This one has lights wound through it also.


Here is my little snowman planter.......the planter I filled with flat cedar from the greenhouse, and then added one of my many snowmen. This hangs to the left of the entry door.




My husband built this sled for me many years ago, from old barn wood he salvaged from a barn being torn down. I have often thought of painting it, but just can't bring myself to do it. I love the natural red of the barn wood. I have wound a pair of woolen mittens to the top, with sprays of holly leaves and berries attached.




Now this is a close up photo of the little mittens I made up this morning for my wreath that hangs on my front door. Since the porch is done in a winter theme, I thought these little mittens were the perfect touch. I filled them with Cinnamon sticks, mini grapevine hearts, and added homespun material. Then I dusted them all with German Glitter Glass.




Not to bad for a quick and easy project today. Here is the wreath all finished. You can't see it clearly as I cut the top off of the picture, but the wreath hangs for a door hanger that features silver bells. It was a gift from a friend of mine, and I just love it.






And last but not least is just a cute pic of one of my snowmen that is perched on the porch chair. I bought him at a craft show many years ago, and just love his warm cap and scarf. He even has matching leggings....:)



I didn't get a really great shot of the entire porch all together......I am going to wait this storm out, and hopefully I can snap a few to share with you later on. I hope everyone can stay warm and cozy today wherever you are.......till next time.........Blessings to All






4 comments:

  1. Oh Sweetie...
    Everything looks so festive. I love snowmen too. They make us smile and they just have the sweetest little faces and bodies.

    Your birdhouses are so festive. Do you ever have any little birds move in when they are out sitting for the winter months? I think they look so inviting.

    Your sled is just precious. I too would not paint it. It looks so much more real with the paint gone. It looks loved. And what a nice touch the mittens are. So clever.

    I love the mittens on the wreath also. So precious. The glitter really brought them to life. I can see the tips of your bells, but I would love to see the hanger in one of your posts. It appears quite interesting.

    Please stop by soon. I would love to have you visit. Stay inside and warm. Keep posting pictures would you? I live in Phoenix in the desert, not likely we'll be having a white Christmas.

    Country hugs sweetie...Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jody~ I sure hope your bad winter weather leaves soon! That wreath is beautiful and I love the sled and birdhouses too! Stay in if you can and stay warm!!! We have winds, snow and cold coming our way too! Isn't blogland wonderful....you can stay inside and still visit with folks:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jody, we are in the mist of a winter storm here in Canada also. Love all of your decorations especially the sled it looks so old.
    Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the decorations on your porch!! Hope the bad weather doesn't hit your area too hard. Take care.
    ~Cindy~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Your comments mean so much!